The Strength Today In An Endless War

 

The nation never once thought it would see this day. I who was always prepared for anything  became numb when Tarun tested positive and then I showed symptoms .Mom always woke up early and cooked for us even though she is scared and exhausted. Some days without doing anything it just felt difficult to get up from bed even to drink water and other times I pushed myself to make sure I work , So mom doesn't have to go through things alone.And then I had to see my friend desperately trying to save her father when she didn't have the energy to wake up as she herself tested positive. Breaking down she told me "I don't even how I am even driving, Sometimes It feels like the car is moving backwards even though it is going ahead. I just try to stay strong in front of him in the hospital but the moment I leave the ward I cry my heart out. I just pray every night that the next day my father should wake up and talk to me well. Mom tries hard to cook and feed him but he doesn't even have the energy to take the food,We are trying our best to make him better and we will bring him back home no matter how exhausted we are." I broke down hearing these words. I remembered how I had to run for dad when nobody helped me and now my friend is going through the same thing and perhaps many other women too who are trying hard even though they are exhausted. It was then I decided to put my feelings into words of how important it is to let the world know what my friend and many of us women are going through right now.


THE STRENGTH TODAY

Dear Wives and Mothers! 

Daughters and Sisters! 

Today,

I call upon your strength,

And I call upon your courage.

I call upon your pain,

And I call upon your grit.

Dear Wives and Mothers! 

Daughters and Sisters!

I know it's hard 

Waking up each day 

even when your heart is weighing you down.

Working from dawn to dusk 

Even when you feel like you need a rest.

From being the front end warrior to your family,

And to hide the behind the stories of their recovery.

From being too weak in the days to crying too hard at nights.

From praying for the health of your people

To healing them together In faith 

Dear Wives and Mothers!

Daughters and sisters!

History will be kind to you,

For selflessly trying without giving up.

For remaining calm at all the storms you pass.

For fighting these invisible monsters even when you are scared and tired.

And for waiting patiently and telling them it's okay even though sometimes you know it's not

Dear Wives and Mothers!

Daughters and sisters! 

I call upon you today,

For you are everything 

Even when you are one.

For you are enough

Even when there is none.

For you are power 

And the whole world needs you RIGHT NOW.

There is a reason I wrote this poem , I need the world to know and this nation to remember our suffering and learn from this.The country is already broken.Damage has been done. The world is looking at us like losers. Sometimes it feels like they don't even know whats happening here. While there are those who are going to the front risking their lives, there is this leadership that has failed beyond reason.With this darkness lurking around us and succumbing us to death, I want to remind the leaders that failed and the world that is listening, to know that we are not giving up and that we are more than this filthy invisible virus.

The current situation of my nation reminds me of the quote from The Book Thief By Markus Zusak.

“I am haunted by humans. I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.”


Aloha. 


Comments

Popular Posts